-
March 24th, 2001, 03:25 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I was bored at my comic book shop the other day so I picked up a copy of Strangers in Paradise and was really absorbed by it. I usually never read comics, but this one really is different.
What I would like to know is, should I subscribe to the new issues, or simply get older ones and try to catch up?
I am not sure what is going on, in the ones I read Francine was getting married and a woman was trying to blow up a plane, and this same woman got David to kill someone?
Can someone please light my lantern, this series is great!
-
March 24th, 2001, 08:29 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Well, I wouldn't want to ruin it for you, so I won't answer any of your questions.
All of the issues up to #37 are in trade paperback form, and that would be the best bet for you own enjoyment. The series is best enjoyed in order as it was printed. Start with 'The Collected Strangers in Paradise', which collects the first 3 issue mini series from Antarctic press. next, 'I Dream of You' then 'It's a Good Life'.
From there on, I forget which order they go in, but if you look in the SIPStore(over to the left!), it should say which ones come in which order after that. You could even order them from there if your local store doesn't have them or can't get them(they CAN get them, it's just a matter of IF they will order them for you)
And to answer a possible question in advance, the 'COMPLETE' versions are just hardcover versions, and while they do have a (VERY) small amount of extra material, none of it is really important to the story.
Darth Fett
ps-If you never read comics, what were yo doing hanging around a comic store?
No wonder you were bored!
------------------
If you're really a Goth
Where were you when we sacked Rome?
-
March 25th, 2001, 10:33 PM
#3
-
March 29th, 2001, 04:49 AM
#4
HB Forum Owner
-
March 31st, 2001, 02:38 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Yes, welcome, CrazyPierre. I kinda feel new here, too, tho' I've been reading these things for a long time. MY first brush with SiP was when I won the first trade paperback at JimmyJam's anniversary sale. (Signed!! Thanks, Terry!!) I had no idea what it was about, but got drawn in (like y'do) and I'm lovin' every minute of it. Have an oreo, and relax, everyone, the next issue is due out in........ok, so have TWO oreos.....
-
March 31st, 2001, 03:32 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Welcome both of you!
Strangers in Parasie Vol.1
I Dream Of You
It's a Good Life
Love Me Tender
Immortal Enemies
High School
Sanctuary
My Other Life
Child Of Rage
If you get these TPB's, what you're missing is Molly & Poo (not connected to Strangers but written by Terry) and Paradise Too! which is a collection of unrelated comics Terry put together. Paradise Too! is about to become a regular issue.
As for saving yourselves some $$ - I'd recommend buying the I Dream Of You TPB first. It's where the story really starts. Vol 1 and High School include Francine and Katchoo but it's basically extra stuff that doesn't have a lot to do with the immeadiate plot. That's not to say Don't read them! Just, they can be saved for later if you're wallet has hole in it.
But definately go for the I Dream Of You first. It's what hooked many of us here.
------------------
"Be excellent to each other." -Bill & Ted
"Do we need to have the "fantasy/reality" discussion again?" - eris
This is the opressor's language yet I need it to talk to you. - A. Rich
Feminist Rants
-
April 2nd, 2001, 02:23 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Nothing story wise. The hardcovers have some extras, but that is mostly sketches, script pages, stuff that doesn't effect the enjoyment of the story.
Darth
------------------
If you're really a Goth
Where were you when we sacked Rome?
-
April 3rd, 2001, 02:01 AM
#8
-
April 3rd, 2001, 01:52 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Actually, the High School issues aren't fluff, or weak.
We see very vividly why Katchoo ran away to LA when she was(16, 15?) It's not pretty.
Plus we see the beginning of the bond between Kat & Franci. Talk about contrast between idyllic and violent......
You'd be cheating yourself if you skip them.
Darth
BTW- I'll sell you mine(High School TP) cheap, cause I have the Hardcover now, so email me if ya want, I'll make ya a deal!
[This message has been edited by Darth Fett (edited April 03, 2001).]
-
April 3rd, 2001, 07:22 PM
#10
HB Forum Owner
All the tpb's are important to the story. I definitely have to say that High School wasn't fluff. Starting with Vol. 1 and then I Dream Of You is a very good beginning.
------------------
The original ninja lesbian milk getter.
Please click on that banner.
The one called "brain" and "brandiflakes" and....
I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
Life is what you make it.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird
I'm not bad, I just type that way.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks